About Rose City

Rose-City-Welcome-SignRose City was once referred to as “The Home of the Artesian Wells” because of the vast number of wells still found as the main water supply of the city itself.

In 1871, Hiram Hodge and William (Deacon) Rose first made their way over wilderness trails to this section of Northern Ogemaw County. Mr. Rose later returned to his native New York State, but his son, Allen D. Rose, remained. Allen Rose and M. H. French, a banker from nearby West Branch, formed a partnership known as “French and Rose Land Company” and began pioneering a new settlement known as “Churchill”. Other families soon joined the Rose family in taking up land. Lumber operations logged off the giant pine and timber and Churchill grew until it consisted of a general store, a post office, boarding houses and settler’s cabins. Churchill was located one and one half miles west the present site of Rose City.

In 1892, the town was moved to its present location and renamed “Rose City” in honor of its founding father, Allen D. Rose. Mr. Rose erected a large general store in the new town site.

Although Rose City was never incorporated as a village, in 1905 it was incorporated as a Fourth Class City.

Early morning, on April 3, 1910, fire destroyed almost the entire business district of Rose City except for Bell’s Hardware and Naylor’s store. Thirty buildings were gone. The lumbering center called Rose City ceased to exist as many businesses never rebuilt.

Tourism began as a business in Rose City in the early 1930’s. Summer attractions were many with 75 lakes within fifteen miles of the city limits. Fishing, hunting and camping thrived in the area.

From 1945 – 1960 the area saw many civic improvements – sewers, hard surfaced streets, street lights, etc. In October 1962, the school system was consolidated with West Branch becoming West Branch – Rose City Area Schools.